West Bengal Essential Commodities Supply Corporation Limited (WBECSCL) is a Government of West Bengal Undertaking incorporated under Companies Act, 1956 (now Companies Act, 2013) on 15th March 1974 with the motto to serve people of the state by supplying essential food and other material ingredients.
Aims & objectives
The main objects of the Corporation as stated in its Memorandum of Association (under the control of Food & Supplies Deptt., Govt. of West Bengal) may be summarized as:
- To engage in, promote, improve, develop and finance production, purchase, storage, processing, movement, transport, distribution and sale etc. of food grains, food stuff and other essential commodities and to provide services and assistance of all kinds.
- To sell, deliver, distribute food grains, food stuff and essential commodities to the public in West Bengal or to the Govt. of other States in the Union of India or outside the Union of India.
The Corporation, thus, has a significant role to play in the state through Public Distribution System to the economically weaker section of people. It also aims at reaching out to the farmers by way of procurement of paddy at M.S.P., serving Anganwari centres through ICDS projects, helping people through food relief during disastrous situation caused by natural calamities etc. In a nut shell it may be stated that every element of association with WBECSC leads to strengthening the consumers’ movement in the state.
In order to accomplish such objectives the following functions are executed principally by the following divisions of the Corporation
- Procurement Division:- e-procurement of paddy from farmers through registered Co-operative Societies to prevent distress sale and to build stock for PDS.
- Sugar Division:- To sell, deliver, distribute food grains, food stuff and essential commodities to the public in West Bengal or to the Govt. of other States in the Union of India or outside the Union of India.
- I.C.D.S Division:- Supply of nutritious food stuff under I.C.D.S. projects.
- Roudra-Bristi Division:- Selling of varieties of products of various manufacturers/ companies at a price comparatively lower than the prevailing market price.
- P.D.S Division:- Distribution of P.D.S. & Non-P.D.S. items at a price lower than MRP through F.P.S.
- Cement Division:- Selling of branded cement to Government Departments at a price less than market rate.
Also, the Corporation has Support divisions for Finance, Personnel & Administrative and Legal functions.