- The Directorate of Rationing operates within the ambit of W.B. Urban Public Distribution (Maintenance & Control) Order, 2013.
- It carries out Public Distribution work throughout Kolkata and adjacent industrial areas of Howrah, Hooghly, Baarckpore and Asansol comprising 5 Municipal Corporations, 28 Municipalities, 6 Anchal Panchayats, 1 Cantonment Board and 1 protected area.
- The Director of Rationing functions as the administrative head of the U.P.D.S. (S.R.) area.
- The S.R. area is divided into six sub-controls, each headed by one Deputy Director of Rationing.
- Under each sub-control there are a number of sub-areas looked after by Rationing Officers.
|Name of sub-control
||No. of sub-area
|Kolkata – South
|Kolkata – North
- There are five (05) Deputy Directors of Rationing and nine (09) Assistant Directors of Rationing in the Head Quarters with inspecting and clerical staff for
Nature of operation
- Issue / suspension / cancellation of Ration Cards.
- Issue of licences to the Fair Price Shops and the Wholesalers.
- Purchasing and lifting of food grains and distribution of the same to the beneficiaries under TPDS in prescribed scale and price.
- Allocation and distribution of food grains during Ramjan and Puja under Festival Package.
- Supply of food grains to Welfare Institution & Hostels.